Monday, September 30, 2013

Haden Too Embarrassed: Kiffin Gone


Yes, I am pleased.  Duh.

I knew this was coming, but I didn't know when.  I thought that a mid-season firing was possible but unlikely.  Honestly, I was surprised when I woke up Sunday morning with a 62 point hangover that first words on my iPad were "Kiffin fired."  If reports are accurate, he was fired in summary fashion- at the airport, pulled off the charter, and not sent back to campus with the team.  Like a mob style hit.  Ouch.  That's what you get for embarrassing the "family".  (The Trojan family)

Previous columns have addressed Kiffin's shortcomings as coach.  Summarized simply, he was a great recruiter but a terrible field marshall.  He constantly buried his face in his play charts instead of leading. And his play calls were generally bad.  Haden was impressed with Kiffin because he had a comprehensive plan for getting through the sanctions.  Which might have worked had been able to win after 2011.

But now is the time to look to the future.  In the short term, we have Ed Ogeron as interim head coach.  This is a perfect temporary replacement.  Ed is well respected by everyone on the sidelines and in the stands.  He bleeds cardinal and gold and has a heart as big as his belly.  The players love playing for him.  And he will actually allow his Offensive Coordinator to call the plays (shocking!).  He might even turn the team around a little.  Who knows.

But short of a miracle run which is not going to happen (no Marquise Lee), Ed will not be the coach next year.  He had his chance at Head Coach in Mississippi and it did not go well.  So Pat Haden has a few months to conduct a search and find a headliner replacement for Kiffin so they can announce it around New Years and get some press coverage during the big bowl games they wont be playing in.  :(

Who's next?

You all know my top choice and I'm not backing down: Steve Sarkesian of Washington.  Seattle locals tell me that he wont be interested in the job since he has something going in Seattle.  Maybe.

The most discussed name in the "legitimate" press (ESPN and Yahoo) is Jack Del Rio, USC grad and defensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos.  I think this one makes sense and has a good chance of happening.  The question mark is that Broncos are on an epic run right now and I am sure Del Rio will want to finish this current season and collect his AFC ring (and possibly a Super Bowl ring).

Online gambling site Bovada even is posting odds on the next USC hire.  Their favorite is Del Rio.  They also like Boise St's Chris Peterson (forget it) and Vanderbilt's James Franklin (maybe).  I keep hearing A&M's coach Kevin Sumlin mentioned, but I cant imagine why he would leave his situation: top program in the state of Texas (yes, Longhorns, I said it), SEC, big money, full stadium, etc.  One fantasy proposal that made me laugh and then made me actually think about is is John Gruden.  (HA!)

Its going to be an interesting few months of negotiations.  But its going to suck on the field.

Fight on,

Hans

No comments: